6.1 Discussion: Multicultural Competence (Part B)
Note: This is Part B of a two-week discussion forum. In the previous workshop, you made an initial post; in this workshop, you will respond to the posts of your classmates and will post a summary of your new learning. You and your classmates must pace yourselves to complete the discussion fully within the time allotted.
In the article you will read for this assignment, Huang identifies empathy, expertise, and cultural competence as key tenets for maintaining harmony in a multicultural environment. Further, effective multicultural management overcomes the unique cultural backgrounds and differences of team members to promote a productive team environment (Huang, 2015). In this discussion, you will have the opportunity to examine in detail the value of multicultural competence as a management skill.
Huang, J. (2015). The challenge of multicultural management in global projects [Conference presentation]. 29th World Congress International Project Management Association, Westin Playa Bonita, Panama. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.06.164
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you will be able to:
- Defend multicultural competency as a necessary skill for managerial success.
- Video: Geert Hofstede on the Importance of an International Perspective
- File: The Importance of an International Perspective
- Article: The Challenge of Multicultural Management in Global Projects
- Article: Why #hashtags rule and how to use them properly
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Review the video “10 Minutes with Geert Hofstede on the Importance of an International Perspective” below.
- Review the PowerPoint The Importance of an International Perspective.
- Review “The Challenge of Multicultural Management in Global Projects.” https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/82155216.pdf
- Review “Why #hashtags rule and how to use them properly“. https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/how-to/marketing/2014/07/why-hashtags-rule-and-how-to-use-them-properly.html
- By the end of this workshop, read and critically respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts.
- Each response should be at least 150 words.