I don’t understand this Humanities question and need help to study.
Write an essay of more than three-hundred fifty words/one page plus on the following topic to display your ability to describe, analyze and evaluate a work of art. Use the information and insight you have gained from your study of this specific humanities/art area to present a well written, edited and substantial view into your personal views on this creative topic.
Self-Portrait from the Humanities
- Self-Portrait: a portrait of an artist produced or created by that artist
- Select an excellent self-portrait by one of the great artists from any century, a work of art with which you identify either aesthetically or intellectually.
- Describe, describe, describe the significant formal elements in the work [articulation, clarity, perspective, focus, palette] and convey how these descriptive elements contribute to the appeal of this self-portrait.
- How does experiencing this work of art promote your own self awareness . . . and how does the self-portrait make you feel? Draw the analyses, observations and conclusions directly from the descriptive values of the self-portrait.
- In your estimation, what makes this self-portrait an excellent work of art beyond the aspect that it is a historically significant work of art?
Use the description of Artemisia Gentileschi’s Self-Portrait as the Allegory of Painting in The Humanities Through the Arts pages 32-34, Lady with a Lute, Rembrandt and Self Portraits as starting points. The perception key on page 32 should give you insight into the relationships between composition, subject and meaning. The self-portrait you choose does not need to be in the text, but should be a work of recognized substance and quality [a classic]. Don’t hesitate to think outside the box, but remember that the image you select must meet the definition of a self-portrait.