This week’s assignment will help you to fulfill the requirements for the second course objective (CO-2: Deconstruct the processes and goals of cyber forensics investigations including the importance of search warrants and chain of custody in a forensic investigation of computer related crimes). For this week’s assignment instructions, please see below:
You are tasked as the Cyber Security Analyst at your new organization to assist Law Enforcement with investigating a digital crime.
For the purpose of this assignment, you are to search the Internet for a recent Digital Crime or Cyber attack on an actual organization (and that will be your new organization). Use the Tasks outlined below (and feel free to add your own steps) and create an in-depth plan that that provides a well thought out approach (what you propose to do to carry out each task) to investigate the crime.
Cybersecurity Investigation & Forensic Methodology (Tasks):
- Investigate the crime or the scene of the incident
- Reconstruct the scene or incident
- Collect the digital evidence, and make a copy of the original data
- Analyze the evidence using inductive and deductive forensic tools
- Establish linkages, associations and reconstructions
- Use the evidence for the prosecution of the perpetrators
- 4 – 6 Pages in length in APA format (not including a cover page and reference section)
- Cover Page
- Cybersecurity Investigation & Forensic Methodology (Plan) – that lists and explanation of how you will complete each of the 6 tasks listed above.
- Reference Section
- Use current and real world data to make your points, not just the textbook
- Your references should not be more than 5 years old