micro and macro
Marcus and His Family
Marcus is a 24-year-old young man who has been diagnosed with undifferentiated schizophrenia. He lives at home with his mother and father who continue to work full time. Marcus’ mom, Olivia, is a legal secretary and his dad, Joseph, is an electrician. Marcus is the youngest of 3 children. His brother, Greg, enlisted in the military and lives abroad. His sister, Anna, is attending University majoring in pre-dentistry.
His symptoms are controlled with medication but he has a flat affect and does experience hallucinations and delusions about once a week. Marcus is no longer covered by his parent’s health insurance, and his medication to control the symptoms of schizophrenia will run out within the next 30 days. Marcus is disabled and cannot hold down full time employment. He does work part time with a landscaper who gives Marcus money to clean the lawnmower and other odd jobs. Marcus makes about $50.00 a week.
Marcus and his family live in a small community with one behavioral health clinic in the area. The psychiatrist is only available once a month.
The family is a member of a local Baptist church. Their closest family members live about 3 hours away in a larger town. Sometimes Olivia and Joseph need help caring for Marcus, but resources are limited. Olivia and Joseph have lived in the community their entire lives. They have several close friends, but their friends are hesitant to get close to Marcus because his behaviors are very odd.
Recently, Marcus was at the local Family Dollar store and he started yelling and screaming. The cashier called the police and Marcus was arrested. Olivia and Joseph showed up to get their son and he was disoriented and very afraid. You are assigned to the case as the Human Services Professional from the behavioral health clinic.
As the Human Services Professional assigned to this case, address the following:
- Create an EcoMap illustrating the life elements described in the written scenario.
- Make sure you identify the family and the community resources.
- The EcoMap may be hand-drawn but you will need to digitize your drawing before inserting it into your submission. You can accomplish the digitizing in the following ways:
- Use a document-scanner or multifunction device to scan the image.
- Use a digital camera (possibly a smartphone’s camera) to take a photograph of the drawing, then insert the image into a Word document.
- Write a summary that explains at least 5 different supports, systems, and services that would help this family.