You are a staff nurse at Healing Spaces Hospital, and through your dedication and passion for healthcare technologies, you have been voted as the nursing delegate to sit on the Emerging Innovations Steering Committee. In preparing for your first committee meeting you have read through the last year of meeting minutes and determined what the past nursing delegate had achieved and what future goals were set for this specific role. The meeting minutes from last month show that the steering committee is currently looking at emerging communication technologies and how the hospital can leverage cost effective technological advances. In preparation for the first meeting you have created a list of best practices based on your scholarly research and create a list of action plans for leveraging these into practice.
You have just walked into your first steering committee meeting and quickly see this committee is ready to move forward with levering technology specific to communication. As the nursing delegate, you have been tasked with creating a comparative analysis of two communication technologies and how they can be used to improve communication between healthcare teams as well as how it can influence patient outcomes. Before the next monthly committee meeting, they want you to send them a comparative analysis using a format of your choice (i.e. table) of two communication technologies that you feel best improve safety and quality healthcare. Write a comparative analysis including the following:
- Discuss the two selected communication technologies you have chosen with support from scholarly research
- Describe the function of each technology
- Analyze how it is used in the healthcare setting
- Examine how the two selected technologies can be used to improve communication among the healthcare team.
- Provide a specific practice example from the literature to support how each technology has been shown to improve communication among the healthcare team.
- Discuss how each communication technology has been shown to improve patient outcomes.
- Identify evidence from the literature to support how each technology has been shown to impact patient outcomes.