Allocate 3 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Observe, interview, and collaborate with the mentor teacher, who currently teaches English language arts in a high school (Grades 9-12) inclusive, resource, or self-contained setting, during at least two different ELA lessons.
During your observations, make note of the following:
- Reading and writing strategies
- Strategies specific to adolescent students
- How instruction is differentiated to meet individual student needs
- Instructional methods
- Student groupings during instruction
- Informal assessments that are used
- Reading materials and genresIn 250-500 words, summarize and reflect upon your interview, observations, and instructional support. Discuss which methods and strategies best met the needs of the students. Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.
- Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.