What is social engineering? Simply put, it is “any act that influences a person to take action that may or may not be in their best interest.” Social engineering is a term that encompasses a broad spectrum of malicious activity.
Select one of the following social engineering attack techniques:
- Watering hole.
- Spear phishing.
Use a Web search engine and search for information about your selected social engineering attack, or visit The Most Common Social Engineering Attacks [Updated 2020].
In addition, find articles about an instance where the chosen social engineering attack was used.
In a 1–2 page paper, respond to the following items:
- Describe the attack in detail.
- Describe the technique of the attacks.
- Describe the effects of the attack both in general and in the specific instance you found.
- Discuss three ways to prevent the attack. Provide a rationale.
- Use three sources to support your writing. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Examine hacking theory, social engineering tactics, and hacker subculture.