Understand the significance of the Louisiana Purchase on Native populations.
· Identify mythic depictions of the west.
· Understand significant causes and events in European Imperialism.
· Understand the relationship between Social Darwinism and European Imperialism.
· Recognize and identify key post-impressionist painters.
· Recognize key features and themes of post-impressionism.
· Understand the significance of Picasso.
· Distinguish and identify significant works by Fauves, Futurists, and Expressionists.
· Understand the psychological effects of World War I on art.
· Recognize the significance of Dadaism.
· Understand the significance of Freud’s psychological theory.
· Understand the influence of Freud’s work on art and literature.
· Identify key themes in surrealist art.
· Understand the stream-of-consciousness technique in literature.
· Understand the significance of World War II on art and culture.
· Recognize the significance of Existential and the Theatre of the Absurd.
· Identify and understand the significance of key figures in the Harlem Renaissance.
· Identity and understand the significance of key figures in jazz and blues.
· Recognize significant figures in events in the Civil Right movement.
· Recognize significant figures and themes in Feminist art.
· Understand the significance of globalism on postmodern art.
· Recognize significant figures and works in postmodern architecture.