Critique of Nursing Theories
Students will apply the following guidelines to the critiques of nursing theory:
- Select a grand or broad theory and a mid-range theory of nursing practice.
- Use the “Guide for the Description of Theory” and “Guide for the Critical Reflection of Theory” (Chinn & Kramer, 2018, Chapter 8) to critique the theories selected.
- Compare and contrast the broad and mid-range theory.
- Using the broad theory as a framework, describe a client situation and expected outcomes.
- Outline the process of advanced practice as articulated within the theory selected.
- Using the mid-range theory, describe how an advanced practice nurse would facilitate the outcomes identified in the broad theory. (A diagram of theories as they are applied to the client may be included).
The body should not exceed 8 pages.