This assignment will allow you to create an evidence-based practice project that includes the development of a PICO question and follows the initial steps of the Iowa Model. You will share your findings using an APA formatted paper.
Submitting your assignment
- Save this document to your desktop as a Word document.
- Open the document from your desktop and review the assignment instructions and grading rubric.
- Create a separate Word document for your paper.
- Return to Blackboard and upload your paper and your nursing research article that was approved by your instructor to the dropbox in Module Four. Please note: if you forget to upload your nursing quantitative research article, a 5 point penalty will be applied to your paper.
Instructions for Completing Your Assignment
- Your coach will provide you with a clinical practice topic during Module Two (in advance of Module Four).
- Step one: Using this topic, identify a nursing clinical practice question that you would like to explore.
- Step two: Complete the readings from Module four. Use the readings from Module Four to put your nursing clinical practice question into a PICO format.
- Step three: Search for a nursing quantitative research article (or two) that relates to your PICO question using Academic Search Complete, CINHAL, Pubmed, Google Scholar, or any other database that contains nursing research articles. Please note: you may be able to use the article that you submitted in Module Two to meet this requirement.
- It must be a nursing quantitative research article.
- It must be no more than 5 years old from the current publication year.
- It may not be a qualitative article, systematic review, meta-synthesis, meta-analysis, meta-summary, or integrative review.
- It may not be a clinical information article or “how-to” article.
- Step four: If you have questions about your PICO question formatting or the nursing quantitative research article that you found, post them to your group discussion board in Module Four for feedback from your peers / coach.
- Self-check: if you choose the wrong type of nursing quantitative research article for your paper (the one that you will be using to write paragraph 2, 3, 4, & 5) the best grade you could make is a 55. Yikes!!! Please make sure that you have selected a nursing quantitative research article that meets the criteria for this assignment and ask for help if you are not sure. Please note: you may be able to use the article that you submitted in Module Two to meet this requirement.
- Step Five: Collecting More Evidence (Do the research)
- Find a resource that provides you with at least two facts (ex. costs, morbidity, mortality, safety, or other related statistics) for why your clinical problem is important. (The internet is a great place to get this information…just don’t forget to cite this information and add it to your reference page).
- Find a clinical practice guideline at http://www.guideline.gov/browse/by-topic.aspx that relates to your question. It must have information that relates to the role of the nurse.
- Find a clinical “how-to” article, a nursing professional practice website, a systematic literature review, a meta-analysis, or a manufacturer’s website that relates to your practice question.
- Hint: Did you notice that you will be finding a total of four different sources of information for your PICO question?
- Step Six: Write up your findings in APA format and submit them to Blackboard by the due date and time listed in your syllabus. Here’s how to write up your findings:
- Start with a UTA CONHI approved cover page.
- Paragraph #1: This is your opening paragraph. Start with an introduction statement. What is your PICO question? Describe why was it important (share the dollars, morbidity / mortality, statistics, safety stats you found with citation)?
- Paragraph #2: What did your nursing quantitative research article add to your knowledge on this topic? Share at least three facts that you found within the article in this paragraph that is relevant to your PICO question and your practice as a nurse.
- Paragraph #3: Critique the reliability of the nursing quantitative research article you used. Go back to what you learned in your article critique about measurement methods and data collection in Module 3 to make sure you are being thorough in your assessment. Be specific, so that your instructor, if reading the article, can find them too.
- Paragraph #4: Critique the validity of the nursing quantitative research article you used. Go back to what you learned in your article critique about research design, measurement methods, and data collection to make sure you are being thorough in your assessment. Be specific, so that your instructor, if reading the article, can find them too.
- Paragraph #5: Using the skills you have learned in your critique of a research article, describe two strengths or two weaknesses (or one strength and one weakness) that you found as you read this article. Go back to what you learned in your article critique about sampling methods, measurement methods, and data collection to make sure you are being thorough in your assessment. Be specific, so that your instructor, if reading the article, can find them too.
- Paragraph #6: What is the name and website of the clinical practice guideline that you found? Share at least three facts that you found within the guideline that is relevant to the PICO question and your practice as a nurse and cite the guideline appropriately.
- Paragraph #7: Identify the fourth resource you found (clinical “how-to” article, a nursing professional practice website, a systematic literature review, a meta-analysis, or a manufacturer’s website) that relates to your practice question. Share at least three facts that you found within this source that is relevant to the PICO question and your practice as a nurse, and cite appropriately.
- Paragraph #8 (and #9 if needed): re-state your PICO question and briefly summarize what you have learned through your search. What would you recommend, if anything, as a change in practice for nurses? Why? Remember, this is your closing paragraph(s).
- Note to students about writing up your findings:
- This is a formal APA paper. Look at the Rubric for more APA information for this paper.
- Don’t forget to use your APA resources that were reviewed in Module Two!
- Don’t forget to use the Module Four discussion board for additional questions about your paper.
- Turn it in to the drop box under the Assignments Tab in Module Four at the due date and time listed in your syllabus.
- Possible points for this assignment: 100 points
What We Offer:
• On-time delivery guarantee
• PhD-level professionals
• Automatic plagiarism check
• 100% money-back guarantee
• 100% Privacy and Confidentiality
• High Quality custom-written papers