For the first essay, you will be required to produce aneffective argument based on
the novel, The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood,by Howard Pyle. You will be required to use at
least two of the scholarly articles provided inthis unit
Essay Question: How does Howard Pyle’s outlawnarrative establish fundamental
concepts of what it means to be a hero?
Consider the following questions as youbrainstorm and develop a thesis:
Characters: Is Robin Hood a hero? Is he alwaysportrayed as a hero? How do other
Historical Relevance: How does the context ofthe novel influence the characters and
themes of the story? How might this novelrepresent the values and beliefs of its era, and how
might audiences respond to Robin Hood’ssymbolism through these tales?
Authority: How are authoritative figuresportrayed, and how do the outlaws respond to
these characters? What is the social structurewithin the law-abiding world, and what is the
structure among the outlaws?
Laws and Moral Codes: What laws do the outlawsabandon, and which do they choose to
uphold? What new laws are created to promoteorder in an unlawful life? How do various
characters react to these rules, and what arethe consequences for breaking them?
Outlaw Life: Are these characters forced intothe outlaw life, or do they choose to
become rebels? How does the community react tothem?
Research: Choose at least two of the followingarticles to synthesize in your essay.
? Graham Seal, “The Robin Hood Principle”
? John Cech, “Pyle’s Robin Hood: Still MerryAfter All These Years”
? Scott MacLeod, “Howard Pyle’s Robin Hood: TheMiddle Ages for Americans”
? Jill P. May, “The Hero’s Woods: Pyle’s RobinHood and the Female Reader”
Surrogate decision making in children with disabilities:Allowing parents to refuse organ transplants for their child with disabilitieswho are so impaired that parents think that their child may have an extremelypoor or virtually no quality of life even after organ transplantation. (e.g.children with down syndrome – Often, kids with disabilities, like Downsyndrome, have organs that are malformed and may need something like a hearttransplant.)
1. Please write essay with WORD COUNT: 1500-2000
2. Please write about the topic provided aboveand include answers to the questions below.
– Should medical care providers / ethicalcommittee allow parents to make this kind of decision as a surrogate?
– What can be done to prevent parents to give upon their children’s transplantation option?
3. Build a strong CONSISTENT ARGUMENT
4. Please use Footnotes and include a fullcitation (e.g., including title, journal, authors, pages, date ofpublication, etc).
5. Essay MUST include at least 10 (TEN)citations